Thursday, May 26, 2011

MEDIA 203, Joke 3, Interpretation 1...


For the video joke assignment I was given a joke that involved the phrase T-G-I-F, along with the well less known phrase S-H-I-T which means Sorry, Honey It’s Thursday. Because I was the only girl in the group I ended up acting in both shot movies and got to personally experience the differences in the ways that my group approached filming these movies.

The first movie that we filmed or otherwise known as “Joke 1” with our obviously very creative title was done as a comedy and was filmed inside of Siegfried Hall, mainly inside the elevator. I would say something that we did not focus on enough in the movie is movement. While the movie is only supposed to be less than 3 minutes and the joke is a short one, since we were in an elevator we did not have much movement within this film. In our other film, once again creatively titled “Joke 2” there was exaggerated movements. Because it was a silent film we had exaggerated movements so it was obvious of what was going on to compensate for the lack of dialogue. Along with movement something we focused on in this film was tension and release. The tension is evident when both of us became agitated in the films because we did not understand what the other was saying and then the release at the end of the film when he explained S-H-I-T.

The second film that was shot was a more creative than the first. To change this film from the other one my group decided to make it a silent film and to add in captions so the viewer could understand what was happening. This film relied on the rhythm that we had when acting and the rhythm of our movements. Our movements allowed viewers to actively see that we were talking to each other and by reading the captions are aware of what we were saying to each other, however it is also didactic because the viewers can tell that we are becoming confuse and frustrated by each other.

I am proud of both videos and I think that they are very different, however I liked the second video more than the first. My group was successful in filming this video in a different way than most other groups, and was able to portray the jokes in two different ways.





No comments:

Post a Comment